8/3/09

Birthday Ramblings

I had a birthday recently and it was the first time where a "milestone" really made me think. Turning 30 has had an impact that 18 and 21 did not. The 18th was no different as I had and still have no desire to smoke. A 21st birthday is not a big deal for someone who lived in Europe growing up... I was 14 when Herr Mueller brought in big mugs of something sweet after SV Morlautern(my German soccer club) pulled a nice upset. But 30 has had me thinking for weeks now and will for weeks more. I have a number of different things to share, I'll start light.

My hair-For those of you fellas who are not aware, male pattern baldness is genetic-look at your Grandpa on moms side. I have not seen a picture of my Grandpa Fass with a full head of hair. My mom tells me he was working the comb over in his 20's. The shower drain is telling me this is coming and I have decided years ago I will be Mr. Clean long before I will be Mr. Comb Over! This could still be years away or maybe months away, I don't really know.

My right leg-A friend of mine just moved and his church had a goodbye picnic for him. We were playing volleyball with its many picnic benefits(social,easy) when some people wanted to play kickball. It brought back memories and I just had to play. I had a lot of fun and went to bed feeling young at heart. I woke up feeling stiff in quadriceps. I don't know if it is from running the bases or what but wow! A not so gentle reminder of my age.

My health-It's not that good right now. I have never eaten well(make that healthy) and as a result I am just not pleased with the weight I have put on. I know this sounds cliche but around the the fourth of July I was going through pictures and I found some......from college. When I was looking forward every night to running the hills by Rosenblatt. I loved it then. The picture is now 10 years old and I haven't enjoyed running hills for some time now. At Borders a few weeks ago I read Body for Life by Bill Phillips about eating right,excercise,blahblahblah. A week ago I started a 12 week program they have so we will see what happens. I took a "before" picture which may make this blog if I like the "after" picture. Its pretty common sense and similiar to the South Beach diet if anyone knows what that is. I try to eat 6 small meals a day, knocking out a lot of water. I have remained siezure free though and and that been huge.

My friends-On my birthday I got a call and when I saw the number my heart smiled. It was a good friend from college who I roomed with later. We talked about our lives and I realized I had not kept up with many of my friends. I have been blessed to know so many great people and want to do a better job of staying in touch. Ironically enough Jeremy didn't know it was my birthday but was just calling to make some future plans. After hanging up with my friend I left for a party to goodbye to John, a good friend of the last two years. Next weekend another friend Lynette has a commissioning service before she leaves for China. As a military brat I became accustomed to making friends and watching them go. But as I get older I realize life is still very much the same. God puts people in our lives for a time and then he pulls them away. A few months ago I did not know John or Lynette was leaving and it came as a surprise to them. It is often too late when we realize how blessed we are to be surrounded by good friends until we are no longer surrounded by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment